Scott Virden Anderson, MD

Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size Skip to content
Elmer Green – Yogi + Scientist, Part 2 PDF Print E-mail

This is the fourth time I’ve started this entry in the past ten days.  Finally realized what the hang up is: there are 93 skinny Post-it stickies in my 3 volumes of Ozawkie in green, red, blue and yellow.  These mark the many items that caught my attention during my slow read through in April, May, and June – far too many to really do justice here in a blog brief.

So, I’m going to leap to the conclusion:

Contemporary “science of consciousness” studies appear stalled because two critical intermediate challenges have been short-changed – elucidation of the nature of the everyday “self” or “bodily personality,” and the elucidation of the nature of the “immortal soul” or “reincarnating personality.”  For me, Elmer’s Osawkie book is important primarily for what light it sheds on this middle territory between gross matter and consciousness.  

I finished Vol. 3 of the book as the ISSSEEM conference in Boulder began.  I was thus primed to be on the lookout for how this “middle territory” was coming into focus in the context of conference discussions.  In retrospect, not much.   

Although I found many interesting points that I’ve been discussing here since, Elmer’s Osawkie was hardly mentioned, and most participants seemed focused in the many issues that surround (as the program states) “unified field theory, the power of quantum healing, sacred spaces and human consciousness, time space and the divine, the ability to influence the past and the future, and the healing power of love.” 

In my view, none of these confront directly the key scientific issues of self and soul.  So, going forward from here, I’ll be focused on these.  

Now that I think I’ve finally gotten clear on this point, I’m going to write Elmer to see if I can get his permission to post his "Planetary Field of Mind Diagram" (PFMD).  This is a central feature of Elmer’s Osawkie book – his “life report.”  It clearly has served as a conceptual roadmap for most of his adult life.  It appears to have been first published in the Journal of Transpersonal Psychology 1971 vol 3. pp. 27-46, and I've seen it several times in the quarterly ISSSEEM newsletter Bridges, but I’ve not located it anywhere on the internet, so I cannot link to it as of this writing.

Thus, I’ll look to comment more extensively on Osawkie and on how the PFMD corresponds to and differs from the SummaTime Scale when I can show you exactly what it consists of.  

In the meantime, I’ll continue with the Fall Yoga Science Review – along with Fall tomato canning, tax preparation, and ongoing wild fire emergency planning…

Last Updated on Tuesday, 18 September 2007 23:17

Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Scott Virden Anderson, MD. Our site is valid CSS Our site is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional