Scott Virden Anderson, MD

Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size Skip to content
Topoloptics PDF Print E-mail
[The following was updated 7/9/10 by the short article with graphics Topoloptics.]

The Trans-temporal Topoloptics of the Subjectoscope

[Trans-temporal = ala the SummaTime Scale; Topoloptics = a neologism that refers to an "optics" — or way of seeing — that involves a topology here described; Subjectoscope (see documents section).

Objective — as in a lens — here the senses collecting information from the world outside (and inside) the skin as "aimed" by attention (variously directed by intention).

Primary Mirror — The neo-cortex (maybe ala David A. Holme's delightful Bioluminescent Brain) takes processed sensory inputs and forms a coordinated internal "image" of these inputs.

Secondary Mirror — the sinoatrial node — takes the concentrated directional and temporal input from the neocortex and relays it to the non-directional timeless subject via the Planckian.

About a week ago the image of a modified Cassegrain type telescope came to mind in my ongoing reflections on the STS as "Subjectoscope."  Cassegrains have a primary mirror that collects input light and concentrates it on a secondary smaller mirror that then reflects it to the eyepiece.  The modification here refers to the inclusion of an objective lense (as in a Maksukov — I've wanted a Questar telescope since I was a boy...).

Some kind of "topoloptics" is called for:

The intentionally-directed bio-mechanism of attention is, in any moment, typically uni-directional and out along the time line (in the direction of the "outer world" of the STS).  Meanwhile, the deepest subjective awareness revealed in Yoga is a-temporal and a-directional (not even "omni-directional" to use Bucky Fuller's term; more "universal/simultaneous" -- "one with everything").  How does the one get "converted" to the other?

The sinoatrial node (SAN) has an important place in the Yoga-Science (I'll have more to say about this in the future).  The SAN is a small piece of specialized muscle tissue located in the wall of the right atrium of the heart.  It functions as the electrical pacemaker for the heart muscle.  Embryologically, it is the focus of the first (self-) organized motor activity at about day 23 post-fertilization when the heart-primordium begins the regular muscular contraction that will continue throughout life. 

Along with the many ancient traditions that view the heart as the seat of the mind, there is a little-known Yoga tradition that suggests more specifically that the SAN is "the bodily seat of consciousness."  (I was first exposed to that tradtition in the early work of Adi Da, Enlightenment of the Whole Body published in 1978 and still available used from amazon.)

How might this "work?"  Key issue for Yoga-Science.

Last Updated on Friday, 09 July 2010 16:24

Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Scott Virden Anderson, MD. Our site is valid CSS Our site is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional